Thursday, September 3, 2009

Homeschooling Day 1:

I am not sure what I was expecting but things went pretty well today (all of the kids are still alive :) ). I found a few things that worked well for us today:

1) Working outside as much as possible.
2) Letting the girls work together without me on their "secret project."
3) Not caring if the house was a bit messier than I would like it.
4) Letting the boys run a bit more in the house than I thought was strictly necessary.
5) Asking myself "why"...as in why can't she draw a picture of a flower leaf even though we are supposed to be studying tree leaves (she did get to the trees...in her own time).

I am amazingly proud of the kids. Even though Morgan was a little unsure of homeschooling she wrote the most beautiful note this morning and she produced an amazing diorama this afternoon all on her own (this is a child who would at times lay on the ground complaining about homework.) Shannen was so independent and moved on further in her subject than I had asked. The boys tried very hard to be patient (as patient as 3 and 5 year old boys can be when they would rather be outside that is).

I know that:

It is Day 1 and everything is still new, shinny, and exciting
That the kids will have their moments...days...weeks of challenges
That I will not always be calm or prepared....or dressed

but as someone who came to homeschooling reluctantly...well we started out better than I had imagined.



Morgan's Secret Project

Really Mom I am trying to work :)

I am looking forward to having only the girls home tomorrow so we can really get into what we are doing. I am excited about the boys first day of preschool...but mostly I am really tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment