Monday, October 26, 2009

Homeschooling With The Boys

Homeschooling with my two little boys (5 and 3) is not always easy (they go to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays....those days can feel really far apart at times). They like to be very active and they don't always have patience for what we are doing.

Just when I thought that homeschooling with them around was feeling impossible I went through these pictures and felt a little bit better. Here are the snip-its of good moments....glad you can not hear (or see) the fighting in between :)


Tristan in a rare moment of stillness.

Not often do I find something that really holds all their attention for a sustained period of time (so when I do I share). Here the kids are going on a "virtual field trip"....they loved it that they could do it in their pjs. The field trips are put out by Colonial Williamsburg (great programs). The first topic for the year was Emissaries of Peace. We learned all about the Native American and British negotiations pre-American Revolution. During the field trip they showed a live action story, had a panel of historians answering questions, had kids doing little skits (including other homeschoolers), and had historians available via phone for questions. The historians were great and very patient (even with Collin's questions....why are 5-year-old boys so interested in swords?). I made kettle corn (on the stove...yeah me) and all the kids were engaged (whew...finally).

What mom I am trying to watch!

The girl have begun to get into "homeschooling" the boys when they are not in preschool, which seems to make the day go smoother.

Science class: mixing colors.

We also seem to be doing a lot of building on these days:

So proud!

Me too!

The after photo.

Not to be out-done by her little brothers.

Even with the good moments you can find the girls retreating to their rooms when the boys get a bit out of hand:

Finally I can concentrate!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shannen so proud of her
book review.

I guess it is a work in progress but my hope is I am less scared of Collin graduating from preschool in the spring then I am now :)

1 comment:

  1. How do you find time to post to the blog??? Your truly super-mom!!! Love the photos;>)

    ReplyDelete